Monday, April 23, 2012

The Latest Adventures





I was able to make the most of my Spring Break. It was so nice to not be at work for a week. We (my parents and I) left for Utah right after school. We made it early Saturday morning and enjoyed conference with Camden and Etta. We went the conference center on Sunday morning and enjoyed seeing a session. I loved seeing my friend Jenn and her family while I was in Provo. Then I headed up to Farmington and stayed with my friend Kari and hung out with Melissa. It was so nice to catch up with all my friends. The reason for our trip to Utah was to attend the funeral of my 16 year old cousin, Andrew. He was hit by a car while walking his bike down the street. It was extremely tragic. The funeral was amazingly beautiful. He was a stellar young man who truly left his mark on life. It was incredible to see so many family members and try our best to celebrate his life. It brings tears to my eyes just thinking how incredible his funeral was. Andrew had written this in his journal, a quote he must have heard at church or someplace. It is truly remarkable.

“Ordinary teens want someone else to make them happy and blame other people for their unhappiness. EXTRAORDINARY TEENAGERS know that happiness is an inside out job – the people in this world who are happy have just as many problems as the rest of us, they CHOOSE TO BE HAPPY ANYWAY. Extraordinary teenagers are affected by outside problems but they aren’t infected by them.”

Thursday of my spring break, I headed down to daffodil hill to see all the flowers in bloom. It was beautiful and peaceful.

Friday and Saturday I went down to San Luis Obisbo/Morro Bay to go camping and see the sights. I got to see: Gum Wall, San Luis Obisbo Mission, downtown, Morro Bay Beach, Madonna Inn (truly incredible weird hotel), Big Sur, highway 1, Julia Pfeiffer Stake Park (amazing waterfall), Pfeiffer Beach (with purple sand and a whale!), some random library, Carmel, Monterey Wharf, Carmel Mission, and probably more. California truly is beautiful and I loved seeing the beach.

Madonna Inn
Blurry... but the weirdest pink interior (with Easter themed decorations).
Amazing waterfall

Monterey Wharf

The Gum Wall in downtown San Luis Obispo

Daffodil Hill


San Luis Obispo Mission


Conference Center with the family


The campsite (you'll notice how close those other tents are. Well we put up our tents on the green tarp and then left for the day. We came back and these people set up there tents on our spot. It was the weirdest thing ever. They were obviously amateur campers. But, the beach is right there! It was a great spot!


The purple sand!


Bixby Bridge

Carmel Mission (one of the greatest)

If you've ever seen Baraka...this is the shot from the end of the movie!

One last of Daffodil Hill

1 comment:

Kristie said...

Thanks for the sweet comments about Andrew. As a family, in the last couple of weeks, we have truly realized just how many people Andrew really touched. And there are many.
Thanks for coming out to be here. It was fun to see so many family members.
And that quote is from John Bytheway.